Dual Language Immersion
"Giving your child the gift of a second language"
Dual Language Immersion/ World Language TOSA
Dual Language Immersion (DLI) Program is part of the Language, Culture, and Equity Department. The Thompson School District offers Dual Language Immersion 50/50 Program in Spanish is in two schools: Truscott Elementary School and Cottonwood Plains Elementary School.
The DLI Program is an academic program that enhances the development of content in two languages English and Spanish, as well as literacy in both languages, so that students will graduate ready for college, career, and life in a globally competitive economy and a collaborative global community. This unique program builds student linguistic skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing in both English and Spanish. Students learn standards-based content as they become linguistically and academically proficient in two languages.
How does the program work?
- The Dual Language two teacher team plan and work together to deliver the TSD Curriculum.
- Students learn academic content in Spanish 50% of the time. (Spanish literacy, math, calendar).
- Students learn academic content in English 50% of the time. (English literacy, science, social studies, calendar in English to reinforce Spanish).
Instructional Model-Two Teacher Team
- The Dual Language two-teacher team plans and works together to deliver the TSD Curriculum.
- The English teacher ONLY teaches in English in one room-science, social studies, literacy in English, calendar skills to reinforce math skills.
- The Spanish teacher ONLY teaches in Spanish in one room-math, literacy in Spanish, calendar skills.
- Teachers use the Thompson School District curriculum documents in literacy, math and other content areas.
- The Spanish teacher also uses the Thompson School District World Language Standards and the ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines.
For more information
To learn more about the program or to enroll, please contact:
Cottonwood Plains Elementary School - 970-613-5900
Truscott Elementary School - 970-613-6900