DraftFocus Area 4
Stewardship of Resources
As a public taxpayer-funded organization, Thompson School District will continue to be an accountable entity that is fiscally responsible, efficient in its use of resources and transparent in its continued partnership with the community.
Thompson School District will maintain fiscal solvency through an annual balanced budget while meeting the current and future needs of the district.
Indicators of Success
- Transparency in the use of resources
- Prioritization of capital and human resources to support mission and vision
- Community partnerships
What We Will Use to Measure Our Progress
- Finite resources of the district in a continually changing landscape
- Reporting financial data that is easily understood
- Aging systems, infrastructure and equipment
- Student population growth and decline patterns
- Create, implement and maintain long-range resource plans
- Maintain and improve budget templates, processes and procedures to ensure alignment of available resources with priorities of the district
- Enhance reporting of financial data in a clear, understandable format
Desired Outcomes and Progress
As presented to Board of Education on February 1, 2023
Increase alignment of resources to reflect the
needs identified in strategic plan.
Intentional budget planning to better align staffing with needs such as counseling, special education, and the PK8 staffing model.
Targeted use of Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER) funds to increase graduation rates and close student achievement gaps with student engagement specialists, interventionists, instructional coaches, and deans of students.
Create measurement tool for budget effectiveness.
Assets are properly inventoried, maintained, and
appropriately without waste.
Outperformed budget with additional resources used for capital and staffing needs.
Tracked bond projects and fixed assets thoroughly and in detail.
Consolidated and repurposed schools to address capacity utilization, resulting in budget efficiencies to maximize student outcomes.
- The former Van Buren Elementary building now houses both Harold Ferguson High School and the Thompson Career Campus.
- The Stansberry Elementary building was repurposed into Early Childhood Education at Stansberry.
- Mary Blair Elementary, Monroe Elementary, and Conrad Ball Middle will be consolidated into Peakview Academy at Conrad Ball.
Archive data and invoices on bond projects once funds have been fully expended.
Provide transparency in use of resources.
Convened and continued involvement of citizen oversight committees
- Audit Advisory Committee
- Citizens Mill Levy Override Audit Committee
- Citizens Bond Oversight Committee
Met and exceeded statutory financial transparency requirements including annual budgets, audits, and salary schedules.
Involve multiple budget managers in budgeting process in order to identify priorities in multiple areas.
Delivered district needs to Master Plan Committee. Deferred maintenance needs, safety, growth, and educational enhancement.
- Utilize Board of Education study session(s) to study budget priorities.
- Create measurement tool for budget effectiveness towards goals.
- Create Building Needs Assessment for Board of Education by end of 2022-23 year.