Berthoud High School Attendance
24-Hour Attendance Line
The attendance office keeps track of all excused and unexcused absences, tardies, and sign-in/release sheets. Micki Fregosi, Attendance Clerk, maintains the 24-hour attendance line and works with parents and students on attendance issues.
BHS Attendance Policies
The attendance office keeps track of all excused and unexcused absences, tardies, and sign-in/release sheets. Micki Fregosi, attendance clerk, maintains the 24-hour attendance line and works with parents and students on attendance issues.
- Students or parents/guardians have the right to appeal any attendance decision. The student or parent/guardian must initiate the appeal to the teacher within 48 hours of the absence.
EXCUSED ABSENCES INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
- prearranged medical/dental appointments
- participation in school-sponsored activities
- participation in another educational activity as long as the student has prior approval
- a death or family emergency in the student's immediate family
- a family situation that makes it unreasonable for a student to attend school (the principal must approve the absence)
- medical quarantine or a doctor's written note that school attendance may be dangerous to the student or others
- absences related to court appearances or custody of law enforcement authorities
- absences related to a student's religious observances
PROCESS FOR EXCUSING ABSENCES:
- If a student is absent, a parent/guardian must excuse the absence no later than 2:00 P.M. two days following the absence. Please use the 24-hour number, 970-613-7790, for excusing absences. Notes from the parent/guardian are also accepted at the attendance office.
LEAVING FOR APPOINTMENTS:
- Parents should call at least 24 hours in advance to notify the school of appointments. Students will need to pick up their pass in the attendance office prior to the appointment time and meet parents outside.
- We understand there are appointments that may be scheduled at the last minute. Please give the attendance office one-hour notification prior to the appointment. This will give us time to get a pass/information to your students. You will meet your child outside of the building.
- Whenever possible, please have students released during passing periods or during lunch. In these instances, a pass will NOT be written for students. Students should proceed to the Attendance window to sign out of school. Students will need to scan the QR at the Attendance window and fill out and submit the check-in/check-out form. Scanning the QR code and signing in/out of school does not make it an excused absence. Parents must call in to excuse any absence, tardy or early release from school.
- Students who leave school due to illness must sign out in the health office in order for the absence to be excused.
- Students should return to the attendance office the following day to provide confirmation (Dr. Note) of appointment for single/partial day absences.
- Anytime you can send a student with an excusal note, please do (preferred method).
- If a student misses a class because he/she is with a staff member, he/she must get a pass from that staff member and take it to the attendance office.
- Tardy: a student enters class late.
- Absent: a student enters class more than ten minutes late. In the notes section of Infinite Campus, it will be documented that the student is in class (and at what time), but an absence will be posted. It is the student’s responsibility to check in with the teacher if they arrive late.
- Parent/Guardian will be notified according to the TSD Attendance Policy guidelines.
- A note may be requested by the teacher/principal in the event of temporary illness or injury, or an extended physical, mental, or emotional disability.
- Parents/Guardians will be notified for all absences by an automated telephone system. Exceptions to this are those who have blocked numbers or delayed answering.
- Please refer to the TSD Attendance Policy.