BstrongBfit is an eight-week physical activity program for girls in 4th and 5th grade. The program boasts evidence-based lessons from the Trial of Activity for Adolescent Girls (TAAG) as well as additional lessons that focus on improving self-confidence, physical fitness, and healthy behaviors. BstrongBfit's goal is to reverse the current decline in physical activity when girls reach middle school. BstrongBfit fosters school and community environments that encourage and support the involvement of girls in every aspect of physical activity by:
Edmondson BstrongBfit meets in the Spring each year at Edmondson. The program ends with the Boyd Lake Heart Healthy 5K.
- Developing opportunities for peers, family, school members, and the community to encourage, support, and facilitate girls engaging in physical activity.
- Creating and adapting programs and activities to help girls develop the physical, behavioral, and communication skills necessary to choose to be active.
- Creating programs that maximize engagement in activities that build skills toward life-long physical activity.
- Helping girls to gain confidence as they become active, strong, and physically fit.
- Helping each girl recognize how physical activity leads to a lifetime benefit of improved health by reducing the risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, and type II diabetes.
- Helping girls recognize their own physical activity interests and abilities and how to incorporate those into everyday life.