7th Annual TSD Science FairThe annual district Science Fair will be held on January 12, 2019 at Thompson Valley High School. Registration will be open beginning at 8:00 am. Judging will begin at 9:00 am. Elementary awards will be given at 12:00 pm and secondary awards will follow at 12:30 pm.Elementary students may compete in Life Sciences, Earth Sciences, or Physical Sciences. Students will be judged in K-1, 2-3, or 4-5 grades. Some categories may be combined depending on the number of projects submitted.Categories for secondary projects include: Animal Sciences, Behavioral & Social Sciences, Chemistry, Earth & Space Sciences, Energy & Transportation, Engineering, Environmental Sciences, Mathematics & Computer Sciences, Medicine & Health, Microbiology, Physics, and Plant Sciences. Students will compete against others in their category.The deadline to apply to participate in the district fair is October 22, 2018.
Important!All projects must complete the required paperwork prior to beginning an experiment. Elementary students should complete the Registration and Permission Form along with the Science Fair Research Plan. Deadlines to be met are listed on the plan. Middle school students should complete the Registration and Permission Form along with the Science Fair Research Plan, Approval Form, Checklist for Adult Sponsor, Student Checklist, and any other forms relevant to the student's project. All forms can be found below or on the Intel Forms Page.Questions? Contact Carol Swalley
Required of all Participants:
- Permission Form (English) or Permiso para la Feria de Ciencias (Español)
- 2018-2019 Research Plan or Plan de Investigacion (Español)
- Elementary Category Descriptions or Descripciones de Catrgorias (Español)
Required of Secondary Students only:
For help on completing your science fair journal and forms, see the linked videos:
If a project includes hazardous materials, animals, or humans, please submit those forms after the Risk Assessment Form.
Abstract Form. Note - this file downloads as a Word file.
- Human Participants and Informed Consent
- Sample Informed Consent
- Vertebrate Animal
- Potentially Hazardous Biological Agents
- Human and Vertebrate Animal
If you are interested in starting a science fair in your school, below are links to documents to help you out:
- Science Fair Parent Letter– Send to parents to introduce them to the concept of the fair and inform them of the requirements. Includes a parent permission form.
- Science Fair Participant Packet – Send to kids who elect to participate in the fair and have returned their permission form.
- Research Plan- Sample research plan that helps students walk through the process, step by step.
Science Fair Student Knowledge Guide – Outlines basic requirements and what students should know at the different elementary grade levels.
- Emcee Information – Things to remember to announce on the day of the fair.
- Display and Safety Regulations
- Display and Safety Regulations (Espanol)