Innovative Technology Services (ITS)Dr. Matt Kuhn
Chief Technology Officer - Innovative Technology Services
Empowering the TSD community to grow into the future with innovative technology today.
The ITS division's mission is to provide, support, and coordinate the best possible technology for productivity, learning, and school improvement.
ITS is responsible for planning, implementing, and supporting technology across the district including student devices, staff computers, instructional applications, business software, classroom projection systems, telecommunications, network infrastructure and more. The department also assists the Learning Services Department with improving instructional technology pedagogy in coordination with each school's leadership.
The ITS Help Desk is a Web-based service request system for staff members of the Thompson School District to enter and track their service requests for technology or software support. For technical support, call (970) 613-7777 or submit an ITS Help Desk Ticket.
ITS 2019 Summer Progress Update:
Latest Tech News
BYOD or District Device?
While TSD allows students to bring in personal devices and connect them to the Guest Network SSID, it is recommended that students use district devices instead of their own personal devices for their school work. The reasons for this recommendation are as follows:
- Certain secure systems are only available on district devices. While a student can get to their Google Account on a personal device, some apps will not work as well because they require a level of security and/or a district license that only works on a district owned and managed device.
- Standardized assessments require centralized district management due to security reasons. So a personal device cannot be used for standardized assessments.
- Personal devices are less secure because they are not under the full protection of our district firewall. So they are more susceptible to malware and viruses. This is why they are only allowed on the Guest Network SSID.
- At certain times of the year, the Guest Network is throttled down to conserve bandwidth for the secure TSD Network SSID. So personal devices may run slower or not connect at all during those times.
- Teachers use Learning Management Systems with students to organize school work. These systems work best on district devices.
- The district pushes out licensed software that teachers and schools need on a universal basis. These applications can only be pushed out to district owned devices.
Blocked Image Sites
Recently, we found a vulnerability in our filters. Some sites such as Gettyimages.com or Shutterstock.com were not blocked. But once you enter these sites, they can be searched and certain inappropiate images can be accessed. Therefore, we have blocked a number of these image catalog sites. They do not internally filter themselves so this is the only way to stay compliant with the Children's Internet Protection Act (CIPA) and protect our classrooms from inappropiate images. If students need images, they should use safer image catalog sites such as https://www.photosforclass.com/, http://www.pics4learning.com/, or https://search.creativecommons.org/.
Infinite Campus Single Sign On
Infinite Campus user account passwords (excluding Loveland Classical and New Vision staff) will be updated to sync with your TSD computer password on Wednesday, January 22nd. If you need assistance with your Infinite Campus account, contact x5102.