English Language Acquisition Mission Statement & Core Beliefs
ELA Mission Statement
The English Language Acquisition (ELA) department is committed to providing English Learners access to an equitable education. As a staff, we have high expectations for our students and ourselves. In partnership with our growing population of English Learners and their families we strive to provide effective and inspiring standards-based instruction in the areas of speaking, listening, reading and writing. We believe in the empowerment of all students and staff through an education that includes an understanding of, and value for, diversity.
ELA Core Beliefs
- Our main purpose is to improve English Learners' academic achievement.
- Effective language instruction accelerates the acquisition of the English language.
- Student assessment data must be used to provide effective instruction.
- Culturally and linguistically diverse students bring many assets to the learning process that may be utilized during instruction.
- Academic growth is facilitated in conjunction with parental support.
- Our staff members must have a devotion to diverse students and a dedication to a culture of excellence.