TSD SEL Team Specialists
Who We Are:
- The district Social Emotional Learning (SEL) Team Specialists are part of the Learning Services Department - Student Success Team.
- A team of 11, with backgrounds in education and mental health, who support each school, specifically via smaller SEL Feeder Teams that work with school feeder systems.
- Grow capacity in each school to meet the social, emotional, mental, and behavioral health needs of students by providing systems & teams collaboration, consultation, training, coaching, and support for school staff.
Contact Your SEL Team:
- Email your SEL Feeder Team directly and/or complete the support request form for your feeder:
Type of Support
- Partner with the building level teams to determine current capacity of Tier 1 (universal) SEL, determine next steps and develop a comprehensive plan.
- Look at PBIS, behavior trends, student needs and plan for SEL initiatives and interventions.
- Meet with teachers to identify Tier 1 (universal) SEL strategies to use in the classroom.
- Provide gradual release instruction for leading connection sessions.
- Provide gradual release instruction for leading SEL competency-focused small groups.
- Observe classrooms and/or interactions to provide SEL guidance.
- Model lessons and strategies.
- Develop tools and resources for regulation, inclusion, de-escalation and mindfulness.
- Crosswalk PBIS tenets with SEL competencies.
- Assist building leadership in writing SUIP goals around SEL.
- Help with implementation of vetted curricula such as In Focus, Second Step, Zones of Regulation and Sources of Strength.
- Identify SEL competencies embedded in all content areas.
- Help teachers plan lessons to include SEL in instruction.
- Work with P.E. and Health teachers, and others, to implement new SEL standards.
- Utilize and refer to student plans such as ICAP, 504, BIP, FBA, ALP.
- Provide information and implementation ideas around core SEL competencies.
- Provide information and implementation ideas around connection sessions/SEL Lessons.
- Help connect SEL and classroom management/instruction.
- Provide guidance to staff on SEL integration into content.
- Deliver professional development on equity, diversity, trauma-informed practices,etc.
* Culture &
- Determine needs for family engagement.
- Establish framework for family connections.
- Connect families to community resources.
- Network with other specialists and district leaders to strengthen Tier 1 (universal) work around culture and positive community, diversity, behavior, equity, self-care, trauma informed practices, etc.
- Assist schools with identification, referrals and finding support for Tier 2 and 3 needs.