Thompson School District Dual Language Immersion Program
“Giving your child
the gift of a second language”
The Thompson School District offers Dual
Language Immersion 50/50 Program in Spanish is in two schools: Truscott Elementary School and Cottonwood Plains Elementary School.
The Dual Language Immersion Program is an academic
program that enhances the development of content in
two languages-English and Spanish, as well as literacy in both languages, so that students will graduate
ready for college, career,
and life in a
globally competitive economy and a collaborative global community.
This unique program builds student
linguistic skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing in both English
and Spanish. Students learn standards-based content as they become
linguistically and academically proficient in two languages.
How does the program work?
- The Dual Language two teacher team plan and work together to deliver the TSD Curriculum.
learn academic content in Spanish 50% of the time. (Spanish literacy, math, calendar).
learn academic content in English 50% of the time. (English literacy, science, social studies,
calendar in English to reinforce Spanish).
Instructional Model-Two Teacher Team
- The Dual Language two-teacher team plans and works together to deliver the TSD Curriculum.
- The English teacher ONLY teaches in English in one room-science, social studies, literacy
in English, calendar skills to reinforce math skills.
- The Spanish
teacher ONLY teaches in Spanish in one room-math, literacy in Spanish, calendar
- Teachers use the Thompson School District curriculum documents in literacy, math and other content areas.
- The Spanish teacher also uses the Thompson School District World Language Standards and the ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines.
For more information